Saturday, January 14, 2012

Back at home...G-Tube and all!

We are back! We were notified of discharge on Friday morning and then it was off to clean up and load the car so we could make it back to Mobile at a reasonable hour! I was able to actually sleep in a real bed on Friday night. It was more than I could ever hope for! I completely understand why a hospital can't be a 5 star hotel, but the running line seems to be that the extra "bed" for the parent/caregiver is notoriously awful...Why? Why can't they make it just a bit more comfortable? It's as hard on the caregiver to be in the hospital as it is on the patient. Oh well. There are more important things to think about anyway.

I did make it out of the hospital every day. I went "home" (i.e. the family friend's house...more to come on that in a minute) to shower each day and repack an overnight bag, plus to pick up break-lu-nner (that is the one meal that encompasses all three when you are staying in a hospital). I would pick up one decent meal from somewhere and bring it back for my mom and I to share in the hospital room. It doesn't sound all that great, but when you aren't doing much more than sitting in a small room, you don't really need that much sustenance.

We arrived home late last night (we = my mother, myself, and Bobby). Emerson was beyond excited to see us...which always makes you feel better. Love those longer than normal hugs. :) I think not long after, my dad went to pick up dinner and then my mom, Bobby, and myself fell asleep in the den. Somewhere after that, in a foggy daze, we hooked up the feeding pump and all went to bed. Sleep is important since you don't know what will ever happen next...might as well get it when you can.

Bobby always gives or brings Emerson a present when he is in the hospital. So just as any good brother would do, he brought home a present in the form of Disney's Repunzel from Tangled. Emerson loved it. And she gave Bobby a sweet kiss and thank you - unprompted I might add.
(At this stage, Emerson refuses to look at the camera/phone. Instead, she completely ignores any crazy thing you might be doing to get her to look at you. Oh well. This too shall pass.)

Today was a lazy day. By lazy I mean that we didn't go anywhere really, but it still wasn't quiet, relaxed, or even lazy. I did get to take Emerson out for a "cheese samich" at Camille's. And then we ran to Target for the essentials (i.e. Goldfish bread, bananas, blueberries, strawberries, grapes, and cheese). I also found a Disney Princess Ultimate Dream Castle for 70% off in the clearance section. Talk about a score! It will be going in the attic for a future birthday or next Christmas...whenever Emerson starts playing more with Disney princess dolls or Barbies. Then it was home to nap. Well, Emerson to nap. Bobby is still very much in pain so it's just a lot of holding and trying to make comfortable. I hope he improves soon. :(

I thought about this quite a bit while I was in Birmingham (multiple reasons...but it kind of goes along with my personal life problems). I thought of how I would ever thank the friends that offered a place for me...us to stay while trying to take care of Bobby's medical needs. There really is nothing I could do that would ever tell them how grateful I am for all of this. We have several very good friends that live in the Birmingham area that have offered the extra rooms in their home. And I truly appreciate it...And may be using it sooner than they think. But, in the meantime, we haven't had to exhaust others with our trips. So, I know I tell you, but just if you read it too, THANK YOU!

1 comment:

  1. I think of you guys every day - I am glad that you are back home and I hope that Bobby starts to recover from the surgery soon. And of course, most of all, I hope he gets nice and big and strong soon! Hope we will be able to see you even briefly when we're in town for mardi gras. I will message you ;-)

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs