Saturday, March 23, 2013

30 Spaces in 30 Days - Master Closet

I have problems.  I hold onto things for the "just in case".  I hold onto things for memories.  I hold onto things because someone else might want or need them.  I hold onto things for the past and for the future.  As for the present...It just makes me frustrated!

Master Closet - Day 1.

One of my biggest organizational issues is stuffing anything and everything into my closet.  I have two nosy toddlers.  So anything that needs to be hidden, kept safe, or just has no other place in the home, goes straight to my closet graveyard.  Thank goodness it is on the large side.  I would say it is the worst space in the house.  I probably clean it out the most of any space, but it almost immediately goes back to awful.  Awful.  

Before...(terribly embarrassing)...


About 15 minutes later (only removing items that should never by in the master closet)...

It then took about 20 minutes to decide what to do with everything removed and move it.  Lots of it just needed to go.  Every time I clean out a closet or a drawer, I try to figure out WHY I am holding onto so much crap.  And, yes, I mean CRAP.  It's all so random and annoying.  For instance, tonight...a pinwheel,  bunny glasses (like glasses in the shape of bunnies), and bubbles.  Um, what?  Obviously, I have kids.  But why do the kiddos get MY closet too?  Ugh.  MY closet needs to contain MY stuff.  And MY stuff ONLY!

Robert was asleep on the bed so I couldn't do too much demolition tonight.  Tomorrow.  Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will my dream closet.  ;)

Master Closet - Day 2.  

Clothes cleaned out...but what is left is a mess!

Shoes...Ugh.  Previous philosophy was just throw in and occasionally make pretty.

Oh...Do you remember the "rules"?  Well, I found a good example of things that need to go because they don't make me "happy".  It doesn't make me "sad", but it doesn't make me "happy" either.  It just is.  I don't know what to do with it, but it just can't be here.  Suggestions appreciated.

[Did you like my super professional "momtographer"photoshop effects on that one?  
I think it is awesome.  *insert sarcasm here*]

Master Closet - Day 3.  

The final results...

Pretty amazing, right?  I have opened my closet door just to stare at it a few times.  

Step 1. Pull all clothes that I just don't like (why did I buy this???), I haven't been worn in a year, or I don't know why I have to begin with (where did this come from???).  
Step 2. Divide into 2 categories - donate and try on.  
Step 3. Try on all the maybes.  Most of them go to the donate pile.  They are all too small, too big, fit funny, or are just not me.  
Step 4. Check out the keeps for stains, missing buttons, holes, etc.  Determine if I can even repair if I want to.  If not, throw away (some did go to donate...I mean one small button can be fixed by someone).  
Step 5. Recheck the keeps and pull more.  Repeat steps above a few times over.  
Step 6. Organize the keeps by type (dresses, skirts, pants, shorts, shirts).  Keep pulling more donate items as found.
Step 7. Put donate in car.  95 hangers in car.  Many, many, many more were folded and put in bags.  
Step 8.  Check out my progress.  Wow.

After I got my "keeps" manageable, I color coded.  Yes - I googled a color wheel and started with white and worked my way to black by each type.  Yes - I realize that may have been overkill, BUT it looks fantastic!
Color coded by type and hung on appropriate hangers.  

Here are my fall/winter "keeps".  I folded all my long sleeve tees, knits, and sweaters and put in the clear bins on the shelf above.  Since it was the end of the season, I found it a lot easier to let things go because I could easily remember why I didn't wear it.  I paired down the fall/winter group much, much, much easier than my spring/summer clothes (most likely because I have grandiose ideas of wearing everything that I haven't touched in a while).  


Note to self: Clean out closet in detail at the end of each season.  Much easier that way.

Color coded these too!  
Thinking hanging storage bags might be a good investment for out of season keeps.


Shoes, purses, and accessories (jewelry, belts, etc) are done much of the same way.  Most of that in my closet is years old.  I mean, years.  So it wasn't very hard to part with most of it as I am not really sure why I have kept it this long!  I haven't bought much of anything except out of necessity for myself since 2008 when I was preggo with Emerson.  Sad, right?

Shoes, shoes, shoes...

All fall/winter shoes put away on top shelf (cleaned prior to boxing).  
Summer heels on bottom shelf (cleaned too!).

Summer shoes placed on shoe organizer (cleaned too!).  
Flip flops in basket (Did you know you can wash the rubber soled kind in the washing machine (air dry!)?  
It makes them super clean and sanitizes.  Google knows everything.).

Purses, accessories, swimsuits/coverups, socks/tights/leggings...

All purses were given a wipe down and clean out if needed.  
Summer purses were put out so I would actually use!

I sorted, cleaned, moved, and organized everything.  Everything.

After seeing it clean and organized, it needs new paint.  The original painters obviously didn't think anyone would notice that they didn't really paint the top shelves.  It's a really rough primer coat.  It makes it almost impossible to clean.  And the walls are a stark white with a lot of years worth of dings and scrapes.  But I can live with it.  I have for 4 years already.  

Maybe a summer project... Paint my closet!  Sounds like fun!  Let me know if you are coming to help.  ;)

2 comments:

  1. that looks AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! and i'm insanely jealous of your huge closet ;-) My off season stuff goes in a rubbermaid bin in the basement because I can't fit 2 seasons in my closet. I can barely fit one season in my closet, ha!!!! I do purge at the end of every season now and it feels so good!

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs