Monday, May 9, 2011

Baby Update 5.9.11

I had my first of several scheduled Non-Stress Tests (NST) today.  Basically, the test meant that I laid in a recliner with 2 monitors strapped to my belly – One to measure contractions (if any) and the other to monitor the baby’s heart rate.  Basically, you want to see a reaction (the heart beat steady for the most part but also having a reaction when the baby moves or coinciding with contractions.  The non-stress part just means that you and the baby aren’t “stressed” (i.e. doing much of anything while the test is ongoing). 

I was hooked up and it was going great…Until “Bobby” decided to completely change directions mid-test.  His heartbeat dropped and an alarm went off for a good 5 minutes while they tried to figure out what was wrong.  He had just decided to flip and make things difficult.  His head was resting to my right…then completely to the opposite on my left.  I guess the high fluid makes it easy for him to do such things.  So, the test started over.  Thanks, kiddo. 

Once its over, the doctor takes a look at the long printout and that is about it.  His heart rate looks great apparently (so weird that a baby with a congenital heart defect can have a normal heart beat in utero) and I am still experiencing contractions.  My doctor just told me that I need to continue (oops.  better start then.) taking it easy (lots of completely horizontal laying down) or I might be going to Birmingham sooner rather than later…Um, approximately a week isn’t soon enough?

I have another NST on Thursday along with my weekly ultrasound and check-up.  In the meantime, I will be resting and may get in some work to the nursery.  My goal of just making it to May 14th (Phillip’s graduation!) is almost accomplished!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs