Friday, February 22, 2013

30 Spaces in 30 Days

In my last post, I talked about my idea for 30 Spaces in 30 Days.  I am so excited about even the idea of this.  I have a lot of things to worry about, stress about, and just think about...All.the.time.  Moving a stack of paper from one flat surface to another or finding a simple item of clothing should not be one of them. So I sat down and made a list of all the spaces in my home.  Spaces - Not rooms.

Ta-da!  I made the list then I counted it.  It is exactly 30 spaces.


You will notice that probably one of the biggest, dirtiest, messiest, unorganized places in the whole house is not listed.  The garage.  I am no dumbie!  As I clean, sort, donate, throw away, I have no doubt that as it leaves the "house", it will sit in the garage until it makes it to the car, the next owner, the recycling center, or the dump.  So the garage will probably be my next project.  And a big project.  Ugh.  

Back to the current topic...I made a few rules for me to follow:
1.  The space needs to be emptied, cleaned, and reorganized according to how I currently use (or need to use) the space.  (Simple, right?)
2.  The items put back in the space need to be fulfill some sort of purpose and leave a positive feeling (to be discussed later when I have a good example).
3.  If the to be kept items are in need of major cleaning and/or missing/broken pieces need to be found/replaced then it is taken care of within a reasonable amount of time.
4.  I will keep a running list of future projects as I find them.  I hope that this whole 30 Spaces in 30 Days initiative will help me jumpstart a more active approach to taking care of things in the present instead of being stressed out by them in the future.  I can't solve all of my problems in a month so one thing at a time.  

On Friday morning, I took 2 & 1/2 car loads of kid's clothing, toys, and baby items to Kidz Klozet for their semi-annual consignment sale.  (I totally meant to snap a phone pic of the packed cars, but forgot in the excitement of seeing my items dropped off.)  Consignment is hard work.  Finding it, cleaning it, organizing it, hanging it, tagging it is time consuming and hard work!  But again, it is now out of my house and somewhere that someone else can choose to take home and enjoy it too!  I only hope I priced it correctly so it does not come back home with me!  :)  

Do you remember how I was going to keep up with how many "bags" of stuff (from the inspirational blog post of 40 Bags in 40 Days on Clover Lane)?  Well, I would say that a conservative estimate on the amount of items that went to consignment would be 10 bags.  A quarter of the way there already before Day 1!

Day 1 is tomorrow!  Please don't expect an update each day, but I will get to it.  Check back for updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs